Friday 20 February 2015

Oreo Chocolate Brownies

Uh...this is addictive...
When the brownies first came out, the surface was so hard like cookies. I thought I have over-baked it. But the tooth pick test looks like a pass. So I waited until it cooled down completely before cutting it. The cut surface was drying out very fast. It was also very crumbly, I mean really crumbly. I thought oh no, I have just wasted some expensive semi sweet chocolate chips. 


I let the brownies sit for 1 more day, and surprisingly the taste improved, quite a bit actually. The surface has become slightly crunchy, while the inside is chewy, soft and still moist. So I suppose I did the right thing, ^_^ even though it was still crumbly.

Ingredients:
  • 6 oz salted butter
  • 8 oz semisweet chocolate chips
  • 3 oz dark compound chocolate, coursely chopped
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 tsp vanilla essence
  • 1 cup sugar (I reduced it to 3/4 cup, will not add sugar next time as the semisweet chocolate is very very sweet)
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1/2 tbsp baking powder
  • Chopped Oreo cookies (about 20 pieces)
Methods:
  1. Preheat oven to 175 degree C. Line and butter and an 8" x 8" baking pan.
    Ready for the oven
  2. Double boil butter, chocolate chips and unsweetened chocolate until melted and smooth. Allow to cool down slightly.
  3. In another bowl, whisk eggs, vanilla and sugar. Whisk the chocolate mixture into egg mixture. Cool down to room temperature.
  4. In a medium bowl, sift together the flour and baking powder. Add flour mixture to chocolate mixture. Fold until well combined.
  5. Stir in half of Oreo cookies into chocolate mixture. Mix well.
  6. Pour batter into the baking pan and slowly move the pan left and right so the batter filled up the pan. Sprinkle the rest of the Oreo on top. Press it into the batter lightly.
  7. Bake 40 minutes at the bottom rack or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. (As the brownies will lose a bit of moisture when it cools down. We still want the inside of the brownies to be moist. I think my oven needs about 50 minutes as tooth pick test failed at the 40th minute. However, I tried the second time and this time, I put the pan at the bottom rack and it's cooked at the 40th minute.)

I am submitting this post to Little Thumbs Up February 2015 theme - CHOCOLATE organised by Zoe from Bake for Happy Kids and my little favourite DIY, hosted by Grace from Life can be simple 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Nitya,

    Most often, I prefer to under bake my brownies than to over bake it... Good that you can resist these chocolate treats and waited for another for its flavours and texture to improve :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zoe,

      Oh...next time I will try to under bake the brownies a little bit...:D

      Delete